Monday, February 17, 2014

Hebrews 12:1-3 Part 1

Run the race set before us.
-run = trecho = run, exert oneself, make an effort, speed on
-How do we run the race of faith well?
 
  I.  Take encouragement from the faithful saints who preceded us.
1. Examples.
2. Witnesses
-witness = martus = one who gives testimony, witness, martyr
-I Cor. 9:24
 
  II.  Eliminate hindrances.
-race = agon = struggle, contest, race
-endurance = hupomene = patient endurance
-set before us = prokeimai = to lie before
-lay aside = apotithemi = to lay aside from oneself, be done with, take off
    a.  Put aside things that distract.
-encumbrance = ogkos = bulk, mass, weight, impediment
    b.  Put aside sin that entangles.
-so easily entangles = euperistatos = causing entanglement;
-Eric Liddell "The secret of my success over the 400 meters is that I run the first 200 meters as fast as I can. Then, for the second 200 meters, with God's help, I can run faster."

No comments:

Post a Comment